creation, context switch time of process and thread

Srinivas Ramanan srinivas.ramanan at gmail.com
Fri May 25 13:29:16 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM, richard -rw- weinberger <
richard.weinberger at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Srinivas Ramanan
> <srinivas.ramanan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can someone give the  information of following typical values in Kernel
> 3.x
> > in a 2Ghz machine with sufficient RAM
> >
> > Process creation time ?
> > Process context switch time ?
> > pthread creation time ?
> > pthread context swich  time ?
> > kernel thread creation time ?
> > kernel thread context switch  time ?

Thanks for pointing out the tools. I will look in to them.
To confirm that i am measuring it right, can someone give some
(approximate) typical values for the above,
Assuming some 200 instructions in context switching  assembly code, i guess
the process context switch takes around 100ns. is this right?
I guess the process creation time will be greater than process context
switch time. correct?
Will the pthread context switch time be different from a kernel thread
context switch time?

thanks,
ramanan