Incremental Linking

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Tue May 22 13:40:28 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 4:56 PM, somanath sahoo <bapi_mvit2004 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As newbie in linux kernel, I would like to understand the concept of
> "incremental linking " w.r.t to linux kernel module.
>
> I have read that kernel loadable modules are being generated and
> inserted into a running kernel due to this "incremental linking "
> technology.
>
> If anyone can provide me some pointers to understand the "incremental
> linking" concept, it will be needful.

perhaps you meant lazy binding? same thing like what glibc does in
user space I believe.

In short, symbols (functions etc) are not resolved right away, but
looked up and referenced when needed only.

Hopefully I point you the correct meaning. If not, feel free to CMIIW.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant