linker error: section __modver vma 0x6028c000 overlaps previous

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Thu May 10 00:53:00 EDT 2012

Hi again... :)

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:49 AM,
<michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 00:19 Thu 10 May     , Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
>> Hi...
>>
>> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM,
>> <michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com> wrote:
>> > /usr/bin/ld: .tmp_vmlinux2: section __modver vma 0x6028c000 overlaps previous sections
>> >  KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms2.S
>> >  AS      .tmp_kallsyms2.o
>> >  LD      vmlinux
>> > /usr/bin/ld: vmlinux: section __modver vma 0x6028c000 overlaps previous sections
>> >  SYSMAP  System.map
>> >  SYSMAP  .tmp_System.map
>> >  LINK linux
>>
>> modver.... hmmm, raw guess, what happen if you turn off module
>> versioning in kernel config?
>
> Module versioning was turned off. If I turn it on, the error disappears.

Hm....not sure about you, but I find it weird.

Anyway, are you sure you have done make mrproper or make clean before
building the kernel? Just to make sure it starts from clean state.

>> And, does this happen if you build standard (non UML) kernel?
>
> I do not have a non-uml config ready for this kernel. "make oldconfig" asks
> for almost every option which exists.

What if you just use  make defconfig....then tweaking it a bit here
and there using make menuconfig? That way, you don't have to answer
bunch of questions... just my 2 cents idea....

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant