cap_ptrace_access_check undefined

Joxean Koret joxeankoret at yahoo.es
Mon Mar 19 06:06:05 EDT 2012

Hi all!

I'm writing a kernel module that needs to check if the current process
is attached (via ptrace) to some other process. So I do something like
this:

  // verify pid
  p = find_vpid(child_pid);
  if ( p == NULL )
  // get the task
  task = pid_task(p, PIDTYPE_PID);
  if ( task == NULL )
..
  // check ptrace privs
  int ret = cap_ptrace_access_check(task, PTRACE_MODE_READ);

When compiling it generates an error:

WARNING: "cap_ptrace_access_check" [$PATH/$MOD.ko] undefined!

I tried with ptrace_access_check, ptrace_may_check,
security_ptrace_access_check, ptrace_may_access, etc... but none of them
works for me. I'm building the module against a 2.6.35 kernel.

Any idea about what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Joxean Koret