data abort in paging_init call in kernel

Dave Hylands dhylands at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 12:41:20 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 8:51 AM, pcuser p <pcuser.mails at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm doing kernel porting to arm926 based FPGA board,very minimal setup.
> Only UART and timer devices are available as part of FPGA.
>
> Below are the details
> #define PLAT_PHYS_OFFSET       0x80000000 (with 128 MB SDRAM)
> #define CONFIG_PAGE_OFFSET  0xc0000000
>
> Kernel command parameter has 64MB for mem (mem=64M)
>
> Memory layout:
>
> 0xc000_0000 - 0xc800_0000 (128MB virtual mapped SDRAM)
> initramfs from 0xC200_0000 - 0xC280_0000 (8MB)
> vmalloc is used from 0xc400_0000 - 0xc800_0000
>
> CONFIG_HIGH_MEM not used
>
> device registers are accessed by using ioremap() calls
>
> If I enable data cache and debug with JTAG, Kernel ends up in data
> abort exception vector address after paging_init() call.

You should include the full output of the abort.

What we really need to see is the address that the abort is complaining about.

Generally, it's one of the device registers not being mapped in
properly (either for your timer or your UART).

If you let the code continue to run, it should write the exception
message into the log buffer, which you can find in __log_buf

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada