From which tree can I start Linux kernel development

Ezequiel Garcia elezegarcia at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 17:14:53 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Sannu K <sannumail4foss at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to contribute to linux kernel. I have gone through the
> coding style used and other stuffs. I would like to plunge into kernel
> development. To do that should I start with linux-next git tree?
>
> Please let me know whether the following procedure is correct:
> 1. Clone linux-next tree.
> 2. Make modifications.
> 3. Create patch and check it against checkpatch.pl.
> 4. Mail patch to the maintainers.
> 5. Get the patches reviewed and do necessary changes. Do step 4 and
> step5 as many time as necessary.
> 6. Patch gets merges into kernel.
>
> I would like to work on stuff related to graphics or video. Is there any
> small task that I could start with? Please provide some pointers and
> suggestions.

That's more or less right. Don't forget linux-next cant't rebased
because every day a new git tree is created. This is important
when rebasing commits.

There are also subsystem trees you can pickup to do development.
Just to name a few:
- alsa
- media
- m68k arch

all have a git tree to work. You can find them on git.kernel.org.

Also:
- kernel people hate top-posting
- kernel people hate non-text mail
- learn git
- read Documentation/SubmittingPatches **carefully**
- watch gregkh [1]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLBrBBImJt4

Good luck,
Ezequiel.