no-op error in dmesg

Matthias Brugger matthias.bgg at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 19 05:41:39 EDT 2012

Hi,

On 06/18/2012 08:34 PM, Pritam Bankar wrote:
> Hi,
> I have one structure called foo. Address of object of foo(say objfoo) is
> passed to ioctl call
>
> status = ioctl(fd, arg, &objfoo);

as objfoo is a pointer to foo:
struct something foo;
struct somethint *objfoo = &foo;

&objfoo therefore is a pointer to a pointer, not sure if you wanted to
pass this to the ioctl.

> But during manipulation I am not getting ioctl error 5 (input/output error).
> I am more confused about error in dmesg which is
> *foo: no-op *

you can't work directly on a object in userspace memory as this might be
a security issue. There exits a function to copy from user memory area
to kernel memory area (copy_from_user; and afterwards copy back to the
user; copy_to_user).

Cheers,
Matthias