identity mapped paging

subin gangadharan subingangadharan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 05:23:28 EDT 2012

Hi Vaibhav,

> identity mappings no longer useful.According to this article
> http://geezer.osdevbrasil.net/osd/mem/index.htm#identity - "The page table
> entries used to identity-map kernel memory can be deleted once paging and
> virtual addresses are enabled." Can somebody please explain?

I don't have a good idea on this. But my guess is, these entries has
to there to enable MMU. Because after enabling it you are still in the
same address space. Basically kernel needs an x to x
translation(identity mapping) before kernel do the jump to the virtual
space (0xc000 0000), after that  those entries are not needed any
more.

Will wait for our kernel experts comments.

> Thanks
> Vaibhav Jain

With Regards
Subin Gangadharan

I am not afraid and I am also not afraid of being afraid.