New kernel for Chipbox

Sertac TULLUK sertac at merihvideo.com.tr
Thu Jun 7 05:06:52 EDT 2012

Dear All;

I have a digital satellite receiver (named Chipbox), which uses linux kernel 2.6.12.5.

Main chipset name is Celestial CSM1203 ( It is ARM926EJ-S core).

The original kernel source (and all other sources) can be downloaded here: http://www.merihvideo.com.tr/chipbox-source.php

I would like to add some functionality (Such as CIFS, USB WIFI...) to my STB. In order to do that, I need to cross compile new kernel.

However, the chipset provider ( Celestial) does not provide a new kernel to do this. They just compiled 2.6.12.5 for about 5-6 years ago, and they didn't do a new kernel from that time.

So, I need your helps:

1) Celestial has done a lot of modifications on the original 2.6.12.5 source ( drivers, headers, definitions...) All these changes can be seen by using MELD tool.

2) In order to have a new kernel ( Such as 2.6.35.13) which can be running on my chipbox, what are the steps should be done one by one?

Can you please explain for a newbie please?

Best Regards

Sertac