How can I change cr0 register in redhat system

Ram Tummala venkatram867 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 13:38:16 EDT 2012

On Jul 23, 2012, at 7:08 PM, Fan Yang <lljyangfan at gmail.com> wrote:

2012/7/23 Ram Tummala <venkatram867 at gmail.com>

> On Jul 23, 2012, at 9:32 AM, Fan Yang <lljyangfan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > hi all:
> >        when I change the cr0 register I get a "Segmentation fault (core
> dumped)".
> >        my code is :
> >

> > .data
> > .text
> > .global _start
> > _start:
> >         movl %eax, %cr0
> >
> >       this code can work well in ubuntu system when I use root to run
> it. So what can I do to work it in redhat system?
>
> Changing a control register is a privileged operation. You can't do it
> from the user space. You can only do it from ring 0.
>
> Venkatram Tummala
> >
> >      thanks

May be I can work it by adding a new syscall in the kernel, right?

Yes you can add a syscall in the kernel or can use procfs or sysfs but you
should fully understand the consequences. The code will never be accepted
by the kernel community. Exporting such functionality to the user space is
recipe for disaster. It would open up a simple DOS attack and that is just
a start.

Hardware Control registers are just not supposed to be handled by the user
space.

Venkatram Tummala