Best way to debug an Intel Core i5 hang - likely graphics (possibly power) related

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 09:41:59 EST 2012

Hi Graeme :)

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 17:44, Graeme Russ <graeme.russ at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, the MB voltage was just at the upper limit of the operational voltage
> - I think the max. rated voltage goes a little higher although there are
> two voltages that must be kept at correct levels relative to each other
> (one must always remain less than or equal to the other)

could it be that you need to upgrade your motherboard's BIOS firmware?
(since you mention that "auto" didn't work well)

> Yes, I would love to get all the on-board and on-die sensors working
> (temperatures, voltages, fan speeds). This is going to be an 'always on'
> media server which will also operate as a part-time dev machine. I would
> love to do complete system status logging.

quite likely you already have it (from your distro's stock kernel).
Try the following command:
sensors
powertop
hdparm

i forgot which one fetches the SMART related info.

Some of them are in the form of kernel modules, some are configurable
kernel configs. For example, "sensors" command needs acpi-cpufreq
module. To be precises, use "sensors-detect" command to find which
kernel modules that matches your environment.

>Any idea how I could find out
> what the correct kernel options I need to do so?

and some of them are in the form of CONFIG_DEBUG... try to explore the
"make menuconfig". I really can't recall them on top of my head.... :)

> P.S. 24+ hours :)
you need to film this you know, it will be the new "24" :D

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant