Best way to debug an Intel Core i5 hang - likely graphics (possibly power) related

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 00:49:34 EST 2012

Hi :)

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:52, Graeme Russ <graeme.russ at gmail.com> wrote:
> So RAM modules not the problem, that leaves CPU, Motherboard and PSU...
>
> So I switched out the PSU - Fail (really quickly this time... interesting)
>
> So that's when I decided to look at the SDRAM voltage - I looked up the
> datasheet for the RAM and compared it to the BIOS setting... Hmm, right
> at the upper limit of the spec'd DIMM voltage, so I set it to 1.5V
> manually.
>
> Since then it has not skipped a beat (only been ~18 hours, but that's way
> longer than previously)

A very well done trouble shooting! you're lucky that during the
process, your memory module isn't burn out (voltage overload could do
that sometimes AFAIK).

lately many issues surface which tend to has something to do with
hardware, for example the excessive power consumption (ASPM). Sensors
are all we need. Linux could already fetch numbers from SMART, cpu
sensors etc. Maybe we need memory voltage sensors too? :)

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant