Best way to debug an Intel Core i5 hang - likely graphics (possibly power) related

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 22:00:14 EST 2012

Hi Again,

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Graeme Russ <graeme.russ at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/26/2012 09:30 PM, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
>> Hi :)
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 17:15, Graeme Russ <graeme.russ at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Look like the problem is Motherboard/CPU - I installed Windows 7 on a spare
>>> HDD and replicated the fault. Also had it hang when using an nVidia G210
>>> PCIe card
>>
>> Hm alright.....so that is likely the culprit. What motherboard is it?
>> ASUS? MSI? else?
>>

> ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3
>
> There was a report of a automatic voltage regulation bug on the ASRock Z68
> Pro3-M which could be resolved by specifying a fixed GPU voltage. The Gen3
> does not allow setting of fixed GPU voltage (only offset)

I _think_ I've solved the problem - SDRAM Voltage

The SDRAM I am using has a rated operating voltage of 1.5V +/- 0.075.
It looked like the motherboard BIOS had decided to use the upper limit
of 1.575V when set to 'Auto'. I changed it to 'Manual' and set the
SDRAM voltage to 1.5V and it's been running stably for the longest
time it ever has.

Regards,

Graeme