kmalloc before kmem_cache_init

Sukanto Ghosh sukanto.cse.iitb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 02:25:47 EST 2012

Hi Dave,

If you look into start_kernel() the call to parse_early_param()
precedes mm_init().
parse_early_param() eventually calls do_early_param().
do_early_param() parses for "earlycon" in kernel commandline and then calls the
setup_function associated with earlycon.

I have in my commandline: earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,0x10000000,9600

Call flow starting from drivers/tty/serial/8250_early.c will lead to kmalloc

early_param("early_con", setup_early_serial8250_console)
   setup_early_serial8250_console()
       early_serial8250_setup()
           parse_options()
               ioremap_nocache()
                  ... arch-specific-ioremap
                        -- some form of arch specific __ioremap_caller
                            --- get_vm_area_caller()
                                  __get_vm_area_node
                                       kzalloc_node
                                           kmalloc_node