Tool for automatic style of coding guidelines

Philipp Ittershagen p.ittershagen at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 27 09:18:54 EST 2012

Hi Prajosh,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Prajosh Premdas
<premdas.prajosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have developed some kernel drivers and would like to send the patches for
> review. But i find that I have not followed the coding guideline for tabs
> and spaces properly, which can be easily corrected by using some tools like
> astyle.
>
> Can any body please help me with the proper commands string for the astyle
> tool? Or could any body please suggest me with any new tool like indent etc
> which you are using

there is a script called checkpatch.pl in the srcipts/ subdirectory.
It will show you the problems with your code style among other things.
The kernel maintainers strongly suggest to use the script before
posting any patches so that any major (style) flaws like indent etc.
can be fixed before posting the patch to the mailing list.

Hope this helps!

  Philipp