Using ipv6 stack functions in kernel module

Łukasz Czyż perlowy.dzem at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 07:01:39 EST 2012

Hello All

I am wirting kernel module and I want to call some ipv6 stack function
from it (like ip6_forward). I am including proper header files so
compiler detects that functions, compiles module, but at the end it
returns warning like that:

WARNING: "ip6_forward" [/path/to/my/module.ko] undefined!

Resulting module cannot be inserted as I get following output:

insmod: error inserting 'module.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

I guess that this issue takes place because corresponding macro
EXPORT_SYMBOL(ip6_forward) is not defined in kernel source. But it
seems strange to me that such a fundamental functions cannot be used
by module writers. What is more, I found on net some exemplary module
source and I found ip6_forward function called from it.

I defined "GPL" as license of my module and I try to compile it under
3.0.4 kernel version.

Lukasz