Best way to debug an Intel Core i5 hang - likely graphics (possibly power) related

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 12:40:49 EST 2012

Hi again :)

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 16:58, Graeme Russ <graeme.russ at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tell me about it :( - I've been here before, just not with the Linux kernel

At least I can tell you will get hiccup less :) Anyway, you do have
data backup, right? Just in case it causes corrupt and you lose some
of your data. Better safe than sorry...

> I got netconsole working and it took a while to crash, but it finally did
> and guess what - No oops :(

Ok, no luck....how about serial console? same result? (I am not sure
which one will be helpful in your case).

Just crossing my mind, is this bug also happen if you work strictly in
text console i.e no X Window at all?

> I've added more (see attached config)

>From what I can see at a glance, you already enabled enough debugging
features....so just keep it that way at least for now.

> Also, I am using a very recent tip of linus' branch (commit
> ccb19d263fd1c9e34948e2158c53eacbff369344)

I think this is the way it will go, you would likely doing bisecting.
Thing is, you first need to find kernel version that works well. You
said you have trouble with 3.1.9-fc...how about 3.1.8 or below?

> Hmmm, any way to test this theory?

Let's say, switching cpu governor? What do you use now? ondemand? then
try to switch to conservative. Or just lock the cpu frequency into
certain number.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa