Does LAN speed distributes among connected terminals on load

Alexandru Juncu alex.juncu at rosedu.org
Wed Jan 11 08:38:59 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Manavendra Nath Manav
<mnm.kernel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a 100Mbps LAN with 10 connected terminals through a Switch.
> Now, I understand 100Mbps is the max speed at which a terminal can
> send/receive data. If every terminal sends data at this speed, then
> does this speed distributes/divides according to load, or is it
> dedicated for each terminal. How to measure it?
>
> --
> Manavendra Nath Manav

It's rather a generic question... let me try to begin to answer it.
First of all, the speed of the link is 100mbps wire speed. There is a
lot of overhead caused by different protocols (I redirect you to learn
about the OSI or TCP/IP stacks and about encapsulations). So the speed
is way lower than 100 when doing anything over the network.

Now, the question about if the speed is shared is hard to answer. The
straight forward answer is no. Traffic would be shared if the network
would be connected via a hub ( I doubt hubs are actually used in
modern networks). Switches are 'smart' so they don't push traffic in
parts of the network where is not needed, so, theoretically, the
bandwidth is not share.

However, most of the traffic we have in a network is not inside our
Local Area Network, but with the Internet and all that traffic passes
through the gateway. So the gateway would be the bottleneck and the
traffic is 'distributed' among the hosts in the network.

This is a very brief answer to what you said... maybe if you could
provide some further details on what exactly you want to do, you will
receive a better answer.

--
Alexandru Juncu

ROSEdu