Internal Data structure of ext4

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 18:19:45 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:52 AM, Swapnil Gaikwad <swapnilgaik72 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Give me details with source code of ext4 filesystem and explain with various
> features in details like multiblock allocation, journeling etc.

I get the strong impression you need to read generic stuff, not ext4
specific docs which will assume you know the basics.

Start by reading the wikipedia articles on your topics:

eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journaling_file_system

Be sure and note the references at the bottom.  Reading those as well will help.

Once you understand the concepts, you have googled enough to find the
main ext4 wiki I assume:

https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/

There you will find a great description of the on disk structures:

https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/articles/e/x/t/Ext4_Disk_Layout_aecb.html

Greg