USB CDC ethernet interface from Ubuntu on VirtualBox to Windows 7

Manavendra Nath Manav mnm.kernel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 13:16:34 EST 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Manavendra Nath Manav
<mnm.kernel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am having a USB CDC ethernet device whose driver exists only for
> Linux. However, my end application needs to run on Windows. So, I have
> set up Ubuntu 11.10 on Virtual Box running on Windows-7. Ubuntu is
> able to register the device but not able to open an interface for it,
> say eth1, etc.
>
> [  382.531901] usb 2-1: new full speed USB device number 4 using uhci_hcd
> [  392.992690] cdc_ether: probe of 2-1:2.0 failed with error -32
>
> e518816 at ubuntu:~$ lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0e0f:0002 VMware, Inc. Virtual USB Hub
> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0e1e:0800
> e518816 at ubuntu:~$
>
> My device is "Bus 002 Device 004". How to enable USB CDC ethernet on
> this device and expose this interface to Windows using a loop-back
> adapter. Any solution on VMware would also be helpful.
>
> --
> Manavendra Nath Manav

Any inputs about what might be the problem. I am able to register the
device perfectly on standalone Linux machine but on Linux running on
Virtual box, USB CDC ethernet device is not able to register. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

--
Manavendra Nath Manav