How to clean up buffer or cache momory?

Pei Lin telent997 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 00:29:34 EST 2012

在 2012年2月16日 下午9:33,黄小伟 <jingle2422 at 163.com> 写道:
> I know this, but I want to reclaim dynamically. Say in a shout time, several
> seconds.

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt
drop_caches

Writing to this will cause the kernel to drop clean caches, dentries and
inodes from memory, causing that memory to become free.

To free pagecache:
	echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
To free dentries and inodes:
	echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
To free pagecache, dentries and inodes:
	echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

As this is a non-destructive operation and dirty objects are not freeable, the
user should run `sync' first.

So the left thing, you could write down scripts or codes to do the
action above while detecting the operation of the device.

> 在 2012-02-16 21:21:11,"Manish Katiyar" <mkatiyar at gmail.com> 写道:
>>2012/2/16 黄小伟 <jingle2422 at 163.com>:
>>>  Hi
>>>      I encounter a problem recentely. My system supports USB strorage and
>>> other network applications.
>>>      But after I put a file to usb storage, it will consume some many
>>> momory.
>>> (buffer + cache).
>>>      And these buffered memory can not be reclaimed(use free command).
>>> So I want to know how to reclaim the buffer memory in a short time.
>>
>>Google for ./sys/vm/drop_caches
>>
>>--
>>Thanks -
>>Manish