cross compile linux

Matthias Brugger matthias.bgg at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 11 05:02:26 EST 2012

On 02/11/2012 10:15 AM, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM, chromaticwt zac<zac.3.14159 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> what is the proper way to cross compile the linux kernel from one arch to
>> another? specifically,
>> i386 ->  ppc.
>
> You should use a cross-compiler. I recommend you crosstool-ng.
> Use google for references. [1]
>
> thanks,
> Daniel.
>
> [1] http://forum.samdroid.net/wiki/showwiki/How+to+build+cross+toolchains+for+ARM+crosstool-NG

Apart from that in the Makefile you have to specify with
ARCH ?= ppc
and in CROSS_COMPILE the prefix of your cross compiler (e.g. pcc-linux-)

beware that the corss compile toolchain is in you $PATH.

If you want to cross compile for an embedded Linux board, have a look at
buildroot. With this tool you can build the whole userspace environment
to get a shell running.

good luck,
matthias

--