Need help: Generating patch using git

Srivatsa Bhat bhat.srivatsa at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 16:17:49 EST 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:51 AM, amit mehta <gmate.amit at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Also the kernel tree you are using seems to be Linus's mainline, is
> > that what you wanted or did you want to be making the patch against a
> > linux-next kernel?
>
> My current goal is to send some patches to kernel janitor group though I'm
> not
> sure if this group is still active or not.
> you mean to say that this is not the tree which i should be synced to? If
> not
> then can you please send me the link to the relevant git repository ?

Please note that linux-next is just a tree used for integration-testing. I
strongly suggest
that you don't base your patches on linux-next. Basing it on current
mainline
is generally a good idea. But if you are doing some significant development,
you should target the individual trees that the subsystem maintainers
maintain.

To put it in simple terms, base your patch on current mainline and send it
the appropriate people (use get_maintainer.pl in the scripts directory to
find
whom to send it to). Then if the maintainer specifically asks you to rebase
your
patch on some particular tree that he maintains, then do it. Then you know
what
to do with patches related to that subsystem from next time onwards :-)

Some background about linux-next: It is a tree used for integration testing.
In other words, development trees maintained for different subsystems by the
respective maintainers will be pulled into the linux-next tree
automatically from
time to time. Then the resulting merging of code from different trees are
tested
mainly for build failures (caused due to conflicts etc.). Also, another
important
test carried out is testing the code with various configs, to ensure that
it builds
and boots on all relevant config combinations.

So, to summarize, linux-next is not a development tree. It is only an
integration
testing tree which is used to ensure that during a merge window, when Linus
pulls from different maintainers, the code doesn't end up in conflicts and
that
it builds and boots fine in many different configs.

Development trees are separate (if any) for different subsystems and that is
usually the best target for heavy code changes. Otherwise, mainline is your
best bet.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Srivatsa S. Bhat