Why can not install kernel headers?

Alexei Colin alexei at alexeicolin.com
Sun Dec 23 15:53:55 EST 2012

On 12/23/2012 12:01 PM, mobile.parmenides wrote:

> I am reading an article about kernel header installtion, its links as follows:
> http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.32/Documentation/make/headers_install.txt#L11
>
> Following a command given by the article:
> 		make headers_install ARCH=i386 INSTALL_HDR_PATH=/usr/include
> the kernel headers should be installed into '/usr/include'. However, when checking
> '/usr/include/linux' and '/usr/include/asm', I found actually these kernel headers have
> not installed (by checking timestamps).
>
> In fact, kernel headers have be installed into 'include' subdirectory of kernel top-level
> directory. Obviously,  the 'INSTALL_HDR_PATH' parameter in the above command
> does not take effect. Is there any way to deal with the problem? If I have to use 'cp' to
> install headers by hand, the 'INSTALL_HDR_PATH' seems not to play its roles.
The following contradicts the examples in
Documentation/make/headers_install.txt, but in my case (android tree),
the make command creates an 'include' subdirectory in $INSTALL_HDR_PATH.
That is, if I do
make INSTALL_HDR_PATH=/path/to/headers/ headers_install
Then, the headers are installed into /path/to/headers/include.