Find out function arguments value from stack pointer

Manavendra Nath Manav mnm.kernel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 05:15:04 EST 2012

Given stack pointer value, is it possible to determine the value of
the passed arguments to the function? Where are the arguments stored
in the stack frame.

Lets say, executing gcc compiled ELF binary on x86 architecture on
Linux platform:

int foo(int a, int b)
{
}

foo(a,b) is called from main() and I know the stack pointer(SP) value
which is pointing to foo() now. How can I retrive the value of
arguments a and b?

If stack grows from smaller address to larger address, and arguments
are passed right to left usingcdecl, can I obtain args value like
this:

b = *(SP + 1);
a = *(SP + 2);

The following program prints the value of functions args a, b using
above arch and specifications.

void foo(int a, int b)
{
        int i;
        register int stackptr asm("sp");
        int *sp = (int *)stackptr;
        printf("\n\ta=%d b=%d\n", a, b);
        for (i=0; i<16; i++) {
                printf("*(sp + %d) = %d\n", i, *(sp +i));
        }
}

int main()
{
        foo(3, 8);
        foo(9, 2);
        foo(1, 4);
        return 0;
}

The output of above code is:

       a=3 b=8
*(sp + 0) = 134514016
*(sp + 1) = 0
*(sp + 2) = 0
*(sp + 3) = 134513373
*(sp + 4) = 8239384
*(sp + 5) = 134513228
*(sp + 6) = 6
*(sp + 7) = -1076716032
*(sp + 8) = 134513456
*(sp + 9) = 0
*(sp + 10) = -1076715960
*(sp + 11) = 134513759
*(sp + 12) = 3  //value of arg a
*(sp + 13) = 8  //value of arg b
*(sp + 14) = 134513817
*(sp + 15) = 10612724

        a=9 b=2
*(sp + 0) = 134514016
*(sp + 1) = 0
*(sp + 2) = 0
*(sp + 3) = 134513373
*(sp + 4) = 8239384
*(sp + 5) = 134513228
*(sp + 6) = 6
*(sp + 7) = -1076716032
*(sp + 8) = 134513456
*(sp + 9) = 0
*(sp + 10) = -1076715960
*(sp + 11) = 134513779
*(sp + 12) = 9  //value of arg a
*(sp + 13) = 2  //value of arg b
*(sp + 14) = 134513817
*(sp + 15) = 10612724

        a=1 b=4
*(sp + 0) = 134514016
*(sp + 1) = 0
*(sp + 2) = 0
*(sp + 3) = 134513373
*(sp + 4) = 8239384
*(sp + 5) = 134513228
*(sp + 6) = 6
*(sp + 7) = -1076716032
*(sp + 8) = 134513456
*(sp + 9) = 0
*(sp + 10) = -1076715960
*(sp + 11) = 134513799
*(sp + 12) = 1  //value of arg a
*(sp + 13) = 4  //value of arg b
*(sp + 14) = 134513817
*(sp + 15) = 10612724

Why function arguments are stored from offset 12 of SP? Also notice
values at offset 0 to 10 are always same, and value at offset 11
increases by 20 on each invocation of function foo().

--
Manavendra Nath Manav