Queries on USB skeleton Driver

sanchayan maity victorascroft at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 22:54:59 EST 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM, sanchayan maity <victorascroft at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Sannu K <sannumail4foss at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM, sanchayan maity <victorascroft at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I wanted to use the usb-skeleton driver for transferring data to a pen
>> > drive. I am using Ubuntu 12.04 with kernel version 3.2.0. I remove the
>> > usb-storage driver with rmmod and then inserted the skeleton module. The
>> > module is inserted successfully. On inserting the drive, usb-storage
>> module
>> > gets automatically loaded.
>> >
>> > To avoid this, i tried blacklisting the module by including a blacklist
>> > entry in blacklist.conf  and rebooting. This didn't work either and
>> > usb-storage gets automatically loaded again.
>> >
>> > Can someone point out how i can use the usb-skeleton driver and also
>> test
>> > it.
>> >
>> > I also have Arch linux set up, but, i have not tried the above on it
>> yet.
>> >
>> > Thanks & Regards,
>> > Sanchayan.

>> Try rmmoding usb-storage after it gets loaded.
>>

> *Try rmmoding usb-storage after it gets loaded*. << I had tried that.
>
> Sorry, i didn't explain my problem clearly i guess with this sentence "
> Can someone point out how i can use the usb-skeleton driver and also test
> it." But, i understand it i think, what i was doing wrong.
>
> I read the USB Drivers chapter once more and i had missed this point
> somehow.
>
> "If the USB driver is not associated with another type of subsystem that
> handles the user interaction with the device (such as input, tty, video,
> etc.), the driver can use the USB major number in order to use the
> traditional char driver interface with userspace. To do this, the USB
> driver must call the usb_register_dev function in the probe function when
> it wants to register a device with the USB core."
>
> I have only worked with char drivers till now and after registering my
> driver, i was expecting it to show up in /proc/devices and then do a mknod.
> I missed the point of using the USB major number already available and then
> do a mknod with the major (already available)/ minor combination(available
> from dev_info) and then access it using the /dev interface from a user
> space application.
>
> I haven't tried this yet as i am at work, but, gonna do this first thing
> after i reach home. Hopefully, it will work.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Sanchayan.

Hello,

I tried writing data by using the write and the fd of the driver and also
echo.

After looking at the usb storage and usb transport code a bit, i noticed
scsi command set is being used. Am i correct in coming to the conclusion
that the usb skeleton driver cannot be used to transfer files but to only
read or set device configuration?.

Thanks & Regards,
Sanchayan.