question about building a module

Kevin Wilson wkevils at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 13:44:07 EST 2012

Hi,

I am adding some code of my own **only** under
net/bluetooth in some file there.

There is only exactly one module which is changed by my addition,
This is net/bluetooth/bluetooth.ko

Now, when I run 'make -j2 modules' it takes quite a time, even If I
did one change in one line in a file under net/bluetooth.

I assume that it has to do with stage 2 of the build, which says something
about
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 855 modules
see below full log.

Now my question is this:
Is there a way to make things more efficent when building a module, on the
assumption that I do not change anything anywhere except /net/bluetooth (in
this case)?

somehow telling the MODPOST  that only one module is changes ?

I remember I once saw (not sure) a suggestion to build only a specified
moule like:
make net/bluetooth
But in this case the result is the same.

any ideas?
rgs
Kevin

myhost> make modules
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `relocs'.
  CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CC [M]  net/bluetooth/hci_sock.o
  LD [M]  net/bluetooth/bluetooth.o