How to understand the macro __init?

Amarnath Revanna amarnath.revanna at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 12:08:38 EDT 2012

Hi Wanny,

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 8:43 PM, 王哲 <wangzhe5004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/8/16 Amarnath Revanna <amarnath.revanna at gmail.com>
>
>> Hi Vijay,
>>
>> Is this a loadable kernel module or a built-in module?
>> If it is a loadable module, everything still remains in the memory
>> without being freed.
>>
>> Functions and data defined with __init gets freed after their execution
>> only if these are part of built-in kernel modules.
>>
>> In your case, if the module is a loadable one, you can still access the
>> print_k() from hello_exit() as its still residing in memory.
>>
>> Regards,
>> -Amar
>>

>    Hi Amar
>
>        Thank you  very much  for reply. I often write loadable modules,but
> know little about
> built-in modules,can you tell something about built-in modules? or,how i
> can take a built-in
> module into the kernel?

When I say built-in module, I meant to say the driver module is going to be
part of kernel itself, i.e. the module is compiled as part of kernel and
not explicitly loaded later.
The __init macros are applicable only for these modules that are
initialized as part of the kernel boot process.

At the end of the boot process, the kernel identifies all these memory
areas that are part of the init section that were required only during
initialization phase, and will continue to free these memory region to
re-use.

If you have a linux machine, you can do a dmesg to see this memory freeing
message that looks something something like:
" [1.011596] Freeing unused kernel memory: 664k freed "

This is exactly the freeing of all __init data sections from different
drivers/modules that were part of the kernel image. The freeing was done at
the end of the boot process, after they had  been used.

On the other hand, any other kernel module that you load using insmod or
modprobe comes after this stage, wherein the kernel was already booted, and
hence, no memory area of __init will ever be freed.

Regards,
-Amar