Adding the cp210x module to the NAO kernel

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 00:50:03 EDT 2012

Dear Ankur...

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 10:52 +1000, Ankur Sinha wrote:
>> Is there a way I can compile this module for the GEODE on another
>> system
>> (Cross compile?)? I also seem to have gotten the wrong kernel version
>> (rt24 vs rt31). I'll go find the correct kernel version from their
>> git[1] and retry.
>
> Hi folks,
>
> It seems I'm a little out of luck :/
>
> I downloaded the correct version kernel source, and it appears to not
> contain the cp210x module at all:
>
>> [ankur at ankur aldebaran-linux-aldebaran-68edb2f]$ find . -name "*cp21*" -print
>> ./drivers/net/irda/mcp2120-sir.c
>> ./drivers/usb/serial/cp2101.o
>> ./drivers/usb/serial/.cp2101.o.cmd
>> ./drivers/usb/serial/cp2101.c
>> [ankur at ankur aldebaran-linux-aldebaran-68edb2f]$ pwd
>> /home/ankur/Documents/work/code/NAO/OS/aldebaran-linux-aldebaran-68edb2f
>> [ankur at ankur aldebaran-linux-aldebaran-68edb2f]$
>
> How do I proceed? Can i take the module source from a newer kernel and
> build it with this one? Or will I have to just use a newer kernel tree
> altogether and replace the kernel they ship?

All I can say is, you might just have to try it.

BTW, I think the kernel in your device enforce strict versioning,
that's why you need to match it up. That's why I suggest -f in the
first place.

Anyway, architecture is sometimes very important to match, because you
might hit something nasty, i.e in x86, cmov is available on certain
processor model only.

Oh and, beware of the stack size. it seems that the kernel in your
device use 4K stack size. You need to match that too.

NB: of course, all this headache can be avoided if your device
provides SDK, which is, as you said, seems unavailable.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant