kernel panic after VFS mount in FPGA board

pcuser p pcuser.mails at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 11:15:33 EDT 2012

I am trying to create a root file systems using busybox for ARM926EJ-s
based board.
I'm using linaro tool chain 4.6.1(arm-linux-gnueabi-) in ubuntu 10.04

First step,I started with
make defconfig
CFLAGS=-march=armv5te make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-
menuconfig
enabled only static binary option
CFLAGS=-march=armv5te make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-
CONFIG_PREFIX=$ROOTFS install

when I do readelf on the busybox binary,I'm getting below messages
File Attributes
  Tag_CPU_name: "7-A"
  Tag_CPU_arch: v7
  Tag_CPU_arch_profile: Application
  Tag_ARM_ISA_use: Yes
  Tag_THUMB_ISA_use: Thumb-2
  Tag_FP_arch: VFPv3-D16
  Tag_ABI_PCS_wchar_t: 4
  Tag_ABI_FP_denormal: Needed
  Tag_ABI_FP_exceptions: Needed
  Tag_ABI_FP_number_model: IEEE 754
  Tag_ABI_align_needed: 8-byte
  Tag_ABI_align_preserved: 8-byte, except leaf SP
  Tag_ABI_enum_size: int
  Tag_ABI_HardFP_use: SP and DP
  Tag_DIV_use: Not allowed

If i use this binary in for root file system,with init=/linuxrc
I'm getting undefined instruction error and kernel panics
init (1): undefined instruction: pc=40047930
Code: 0000aa80 00000714 e3e00000 e1a0f00e (eca0420c)

I see that the busybox is compiled for different arm architecture, other
than the one i specified (armv5te)

To identify the issue is with busybox or toolchain or configuration,I tried
with hello program (hello world) as init (init =/sbin/hello).
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -march=armv5te -o hello hello.c
Failed to execute /sbin/hello.  Attempting defaults...
init (1): undefined instruction: pc=0006f7b2
Code: 2001 2000 f85d fb08 (bf00) f84d

I'm trying to get past the root file system for last few days,for this
problem i can't clearly get any idea about what the cause is.
kindly help me in clearing this problem