SRIOV memory allocation

Peter Teoh htmldeveloper at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 12:15:32 EDT 2012

Is your system 32bit or 64bit?   Before putting the card, there was no
memory problem right?

And after putting in the card, memory resources all get used up right (by
IOV)?   It looked like it is similar to this problem:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/23318

>From above and here:

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/PCI/pci-iov-howto.txt

it seemed that this hardware feature requires BIOS support, and so if ur
hardware does not have it, SR-IOV is not possible, thus giving rise to
those errors u have seen.

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM, J.Hwan Kim <frog1120 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, everyone
>
> I'd like to know what routine of the PCIe allocates SR-IOV BAR memory.
>
> When I put into the network card supporting SR-IOV in my system,
> it returns error indicating "MMIO resource" is insufficient when sriov
> is enabled.
>
> The routine is in iov.c
>
> for (i = 0; i < PCI_SRIOV_NUM_BARS/*6*/; i++) {
>         res = dev->resource + PCI_IOV_RESOURCES + i;
>         if (res->parent)
>             nres++;
> }
> if (nres != iov->nres) {
>       dev_err(&dev->dev, "not enough MMIO resources for SR-IOV\n");
>       return -ENOMEM;
> }
>
> So, I hope to know where the resources of IOV is assigned the parent
> pointer.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best Regards,
> J.Hwan Kim