Req help - Panic in VFS mount(Cramfs)

sk.syed2 sk.syed2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 14:12:58 EDT 2012

> Using ARM926e-js processor with 128MB SDRAM., Clock-33Mhz
>
> SDRAM Size = 128M
>

> CONFIG_PAGE_OFFSET = 0xc0000000
>
> CONFIG_PHYS_OFFSET= 0x80000000

> Start address for kernel is 0x80008000
>
> Commandline(atags address)   is 0x80000100
>

> Kernel Lowmem = 32M
>
> HighMEM is not configured.
>

> Vmalloc_start =      0xC40000000
>
> VMALLOC_END =  Vmalloc_start + 64M  = 0xC8000000
>

> After mounting the CRAMFS filesystem, we are expecting a login prompt. But
> we are getting kernel panic message as shown below.
>
> Please help me in fix the issue.
>
> Kindly let me know if further information is needed.
>

> Console message:
>
> VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem) readonly on device 1:0.
>
> Freeing init memory: 76K
>
> Error -3 while decompressing!
>
> c018b094(3087)->c016f000(4096)
>
> Error -5 while decompressing!

You are out of memory. cramfs cannot decompress as it cannot allocate
memory for o/p buffer. device 1:0 means you are using initrd. What is
your initrd offset? size of cramfs image? Highest kernel virtual
address as per your config is PAGE_OFFSET + 32MB, which is 0xc2000000.
But you are loading cramfs @ physical 0x82000000. If this is correct
then kernel will not be able to go beyond 0x82000000.