Why do processes with higher priority to be allocated more timeslice?

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 00:28:46 EDT 2011

Hi :)

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 09:07, Parmenides <mobile.parmenides at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, a common characteristics of Linux's schedulers is that
> timeslices will be longer with priorities raising .

generally I agree with that.... :)

> I am just curious
> about why the the schedulers takes this policy.

simply to say that, the more important a job is, it should be given
longer time to run... but, the process has privilege to yield before
time slice is up...and when it comes back,it will use the remaining
time slice.....and its dynamic priority will stay the same (that's the
property that I recall....)

>IMHO, this policy
> somewhat conflicts with intuition. I think there must be some
> motivations to take this policy, but I have no idea about it.

well, you can think, what happen if you take the other direction for
the policy? higher priority, but less time slice? that, IMHO, is less
intuitive.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa