Automatic module insert in boot time

Yacob Hassidim yacobh at zahav.net.il
Mon Sep 26 03:54:09 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I ask for help to insert/install module automatically in boot time.

I use Ubuntu 11.04.

I try to insert a module automatically in boot time.

I added the name of my module (hello) to the file /etc/modules.

I copied the the file hello.ko to the following directories:

- /lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/kernel
- /lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/kernel/drivers
- /lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/kernel/drivers/hello

The hello module prints (printk) message to kern.log and responds to open/read/write/ioctl and close functions.

I don't see the init log messages in the kern.log file.

While I use "insmod hello.ko" command, the command succeeds and I see the log messages.

Can anyone help me why the automatically insertion of the module does not succeed?

Thank you.

Yacob.