No human readable MCE decoding support on this CPU type

Jon Zhou Jon.Zhou at jdsu.com
Fri Sep 16 02:42:10 EDT 2011

HI

Application was running well on Linux 2.6.36.4 (Linux stdl007 2.6.36.4-0.7-default #1 SMP Thu Jun 16 16:55:08 SGT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)

When I installed it on another box(same machine type and same kernel)
It got these massive errors in /var/log/message

kernel: [20002.367540] [Hardware Error]: No human readable MCE decoding support on this CPU type

have searched this and one answer is:

http://www.mcelog.org/faq.html

I get "kernel hardware error no human readable mce decoding support on this cpu type"
This is pretty much a bug in newer Linux kernels. They print this message on every corrected error, even though it's useless and also the decoding into the kernel log is not very useful because mcelog can aggregate the information much better. This is fixed with this patch
To apply to a kernel: download raw patch , cd kernel source, patch -p1 < patchfile, recompile.

The newer kernel, I understand it means 2.6.37+, how about 2.6.36.4? why I didn't get this error in the previous machine has same kernel?

Does it mean the new machine has hardware problem?