error : no symbol version for "function"

Dave Hylands dhylands at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 01:48:56 EDT 2011

Hi kashish,

Sending to the whole list this time...

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 10:19 AM, kashish bhatia <koolest77 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> There is no licensing mistake because I already included MODULE_LICENSE(
> "GPL" ); in my module.
>
> I also verified the exported symbol. There is an entry for the exported
> symbol in kallsyms.
>
> Is there any other reason of getting this kind of error?

module : no symbol version for function_name

I re-read the error, and it seems that the problem isn't that the
symbol is missing, but rather that the symbol version is missing.

This talks abit about symbol versioning:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Module-HOWTO/basekerncompat.html

Also see section 6 of Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt
http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v3.0.4/Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt#L426

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada