Watchdog timer expired, but panic logs not seen

sandeep kumar coolsandyforyou at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 08:21:55 EDT 2011

Hi all,
I wanted to manipulate the watchdog timer driver to see how it works in
deadlocks.

In our target qualcom ARM board we use msm_watchdog hardware timer.
It has one register WDT0_BARK_TIME, if you set some time,
when the timeout occurs it will send and interrupt.

In the same driver the interrupt handler is also present, which
dumps all the application stacks and calls panic("watchdog bark recieved");

But when is see the logs, immediately after the interrupt generated the
device is turning off.
It is not even entering the bark_interrupt_handler.
(i did put logs in the starting of intr handler and i put another log just
before the interrupt occured)

My question is this,
When watch dog timer expires(hardware watchdog), its interrupt directly
resets the system
(or) it is treated as an interrupt and a handler is executed.

THanks,
Sandeep.