Query about custom fedora build process

Vaibhav Jain vjoss197 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 18:16:46 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am trying to build a custom fedora kernel on a fedora (FC15) machine by
reading the
article: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel
but  i am unable to make any progress as my changes are not getting
reflected.
So I have query about the procedure given in the article. The article asks
to first create
hardliks between files in .new and .orig directories and then to make
changes and to .new directory and to
generate a patch by a diff between the .orig and .new directories. But I am
just wondering if the
files in both the directories are hardlinks then how can diff work because
after changing a file in .new directory
the file in .orig directory should also change.

cp -r ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.$ver.$fedver/linux-2.6.$ver.$arch
~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.$ver$fedver.orig
cp -al ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.$ver.$fedver.orig
~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.$ver.$fedver.new

cd ~/rpmbuild/BUILD
diff -uNrp kernel-2.6.$ver.$fedver.orig kernel-2.6.$ver.$fedver.new >
../SOURCES/linux-2.6-my-new-patch.patch

Thanks
Vaibhav Jain