Getting 'bad file number' error writing to device driver

Philip Anil-QBW348 anil.philip at motorolasolutions.com
Thu Oct 20 08:40:07 EDT 2011

> Thanks for the link; but this bit has to be set on the original executable.
> Is there any way a program in user mode can get around this or set the bit
> himself?

Ummm...now that would be a security violation, don't you think? If a
program can elevate it's own privileges, then whats the point of
having access control! :)

I think a user-space program will always need _some_ help from a
privileged user/program. Eg in the case of setuid, typically the root
user will be setting this bit (on a executable) so that an
unprivileged user can execute with temporarily elevated privileges.

CMIIW.

HTH,
-mandeep

Good point, Mandeep :)
Since I am doing security testing, I want to see if there is any way - security loopholes - especially in the Android environment (which runs a branch of Linux)
that a program can access the device driver.
Anil