How can I test if a physical address is already mapped or not.

StephanT stman937-linewbie at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 17 16:04:23 EDT 2011

Hi all,

In a kernel module is there a way to test if an address range has
been already mapped by the kernel or not.

Ex:  (on a PC with the latest kernel)
- an access to physical 0xC0000000 will return the value at this address
- an access to physical 0x00100000 will have the kernel kill the module/application
           using the module. Dmesg: BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 00100000.

How can I test this condition before dereferencing the address.

Thanks,
Stephan.