Linux System Calls vs writing device drivers

Javier Martinez Canillas martinez.javier at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 08:16:41 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Ashok Sharma <aks6d at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am interested in writing Linux device drivers (DD) and have knowledge of
> OS concepts, Linux OS design and System Calls. What is the path to writing
> DD and please give some references/links.
>
> Thank you and regards
> Ashok

Hello Ashok,

A few days ago I wrote a lengthy answer to the same question in quora, if
you want to take a look:
www.quora.com/Linux/Whats-the-best-way-to-learn-device-driver-development-on-Linux

Short answer:

If you have an Android device, there is a big probability that the drivers
for that hardware have not yet been pushed upstream. Android and Linux
differ slightly but enough to force a developer to choose to write a driver
either for Android or Linux.

So, a useful contribution and an excellent learning process could be porting
Android device drivers to Linux.

--
Javier Martínez Canillas
(+34) 682 39 81 69