Customized kernel and nVidia binary drivers

Andrzej Kardas andrzej-kardas at o2.pl
Fri Oct 14 12:43:52 EDT 2011

On 14.10.2011 15:26, Cihangir Aktürk wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am building custom kernels using "make-kpkg" command - the debian way,
> everything works great even my nVidia propriatery driver. And this nvidia
> module confuses me so much.
>
> When I build my kernel with standard "make", and install it as it is expected
> there is no nvidia module in my /usr/lib/kernel-ver directory and not
> surprisingly
> simply copying this driver from older kernel to a new one doesn't work as well.
It's because version of the module must match kernel version. Nvidia
ships binary module (already compiled) but also sources some kind of
"kernel interface to binary module" which must be recompiled every time
you build new kernel.

> I wonder how can this nVidia binary driver still work if I compile my kernel
> with "make-kpkg"?
> What this utility does to make it happen
That should be helpful for you:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

--
Regards