What is RTNL lock?

Pritam Bankar pritambankar1988 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 02:35:39 EST 2011

Hi,

http://lists.openfabrics.org/pipermail/general/2008-July/052458.html

This might help you.

From: kernelnewbies-bounces at kernelnewbies.org
[mailto:kernelnewbies-bounces at kernelnewbies.org] On Behalf Of rohan puri
Sent: 28 November 2011 12:36
To: Vimal; kernelnewbies
Subject: Re: What is RTNL lock?

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Vimal <j.vimal at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Rohan

Yes, I understood this part, but I am wondering what is the purpose of
this lock.   I am guessing it's to protect all network related
operations from critical events, for e.g.: protecting a packet
transmit during device removal, protecting routing table entry during
route lookup, etc., but I can't find its precise documentation
anywhere.   Thanks,

--
Vimal

This lock is used to serialize changes to net_device instances from runtime
events, conf changes

Refer book understanding Linux network internals for more details.

Regards,

Rohan Puri