GPL-only symbol Error

Jeff Haran jharan at bytemobile.com
Tue Nov 22 19:34:21 EST 2011

Greg,

Just curious, can you provide links to these cases?

I've read the COPYING file at the top of the Linux source tree. I am not
a lawyer, but I don't see anything in it that would prohibit somebody
from taking the GPL kernel sources, changing the EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL()s to
EXPORT_SYMBOL()s, publishing that modified kernel source as required by
the GPL license but then keep their module source that uses the now
non-GPL symbols private. It seems like it should be prohibited in the
spirit of open source, but I don't see any mention of these symbol
declarations in the license.

Thanks,

Jeff Haran