Kernelnewbies Digest, Vol 12, Issue 25

Sazzad sazzadbinkamal at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 12:59:18 EST 2011

> <surajkhurana27 at gmail.com <mailto:surajkhurana27 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I am a newbie in linux world and want to learn linux device drivers.

I'm also new to Linux device driver world and am interested to learn.
Besides learning and fun, I want to write a driver for Green
Packet's<http://www.wimaxian.com/2009/12/02/green-packet-dx-tower-and-uh-shuttle-stylish-design-and-best-in-class-performance/>
UH-235
wimax modem. Probably you could also join? :)

If you are interested, we could find out, as a first step,

How the Kernel responses, when *any* hardware is attached to a system that
> runs Linux?

Probably, dmesg <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmesg> command can help us a
bit. Our next step would be to find out,

How to hack/know about a device attached with a Linux system, provided that
> there is no driver currently available for the device?

I've also collected the source file provided by Green Packet. It was
actually a deb file and I extracted it. There is really no source except
shared object (.so/.ko) files. This deb file, reportedly, only works in
Ubuntu 9.04, which uses Linux Kernel Version *2.6.28*. Any other
installation on newer Ubuntu failed. Possibly be a Kernel issue? Let's find
out! If you want the deb/source file, let me know. I'll mail you. Green
Packet's UH-235 wimax modem uses Mediateks m7118 SoC. And reportedly,
Mediatek's chips are not developer friendly. Like they don't provide useful
information to the developers outside. :P

Happy hacking!

--
Sincerely,
Sazzad Bin Kamal