User Mode Linux

Vishal Thanki vishalthanki at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 07:04:16 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Vishal Thanki <vishalthanki at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Lakshmipathi.G
> <lakshmipathi.g at gmail.com> wrote:
> > But the 2nd command (i.e. losetup) returns with the error complaining
> > "/dev/loop1" is not present, but I can see /dev/loop[0..7] files
> > present.
> >
> > Try loading the module as -
> >
> > #modprobe loop

I have one more question in the same line (i.e. related to UML). I
tried loading an external module (build for ARCH=um type). I am able
to load that module only if i've booted UML with following command:

./linux ubda=<raw_file_system_path>

If i pass the mem parameter, i.e.

./linux ubda=<raw_file_system_path> mem=512M

I am not able to load the module. The error that I am seeing is:

overflow in relocation type 11 val a121c3c0
`tun' likely not compiled with -mcmodel=kernel

I tried to load the tun.ko. This holds true for any manually built
simple hello_world kind of module too (where i added -mcmodel=kernel
parameter in Makefile).

What can be wrong with "mem=512M" parameter? I change the size of mem
to 128K to 1G, but nothing works. It just doesn't like "mem" parameter
as bootargs.