building linux kernel 3.0.4

ashish anand ashishanand26cs at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 12:45:01 EST 2011

Hi ,
I am using vmware on windows 7 and try to built kernel version 3.0.4 .
I am following this procedure

make defconfig
make
make modules
make modules_install
make install
Every step succeds except make install
Its throwing me following message

*sh /home/ashu/linux-3.0.4/linux-3.0.4/arch/x86/boot/install.sh 3.0.4
arch/x86/boot/bzImage \
    System.map "/boot"
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module fuse
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module sunrpc
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module ip6t_REJECT
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module nf_conntrack_ipv6
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module ip6table_filter
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module ip6_tables
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module ipv6
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module uinput
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd_ens1371
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module gameport
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd_rawmidi
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd_ac97_codec
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module ac97_bus
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd_seq
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd_seq_device
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd_pcm
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module ppdev
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd_timer
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module parport_pc
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module parport
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module microcode
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module soundcore
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module vmware_balloon
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd_page_alloc
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module pcnet32
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module mii
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module i2c_piix4
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module i2c_core
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module mptspi
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module mptscsih
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module mptbase
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module scsi_transport_spi

*I wonder if my Vmware workstation is creating a problem?

Or
If I am using make defconfig why are these modules not bulit.
Please help I am stuck.

Thanks and Regards
Ashish Anand
"Growth Should Not Kill Innovation"