Problem in configuring the kernel

Naman Shekhar Mishra mishra123.naman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 07:59:14 EST 2011

I have been trying to configure the kernel for my Lenovo 300 N100 machine.
First I tried to use:

    $make defconfig

but this doesn't work and there is a kernel panic when I boot with the new
kernel.

Then I used the configuration file that came with the Ubuntu distribution
and it ran just fine, but the problem is that it takes TOO long to compile
with that configuration.

 What I want is a minimum configuration which runs the hardware on my
machine.

I looked up "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell" and ran a script which looks
through the hardware and shows only the modules I want to be using

        #!/bin/bash
        #
        # find_all_modules.sh
        #
        for i in `find /sys/ -name modalias -exec cat {} \;`; do
            /sbin/modprobe --config /dev/null --show-depends $i ;
        done | rev | cut -f 1 -d '/' | rev | sort -u

 I have attached the output of the script if anyone wants to check what
modules it showed.

So I once again started the configuration:
    $make defconfig
to get a base configuration and then enabled[m] the configuration option
for each module as demonstrated in the book.
But, for some modules there was no configuration option. And for the rest,
the option was already enabled by defconfig.
When I booted with this new kernel, the kernel panicked.

Please tell me how to make the kernel work for my particular machine.
Regards