How to limit the total size used by core files or automatically delete old corefiles.

SADA SIVA REDDY S sadasiva.reddy at gmail.com
Thu May 26 08:31:03 EDT 2011

Hi  All,
   I have a situation like below. I am using RHEL 5.

   1. I have multiple user processes running on my machine.
   2. I have set the appropriate sizes for core file size.
   3. But my process maangement demon is designed to restart any process
   that terminates.
   4. Hence the process starts up again.
   5. If I have a very bad nasty defect, it will keep on filling my machine
   with core files until I run out of space on the partition.

My Questions:

   1. Is there a provision in Linux to automatically cleanup the old
   corefiles when we reach a certain limit ?
   2. Is there a provision in Linux to set a upper limit for space occupied
   by all core files (not individual core files) ?

Any inputs appreciated.

Thanks,
SADA