Rv: Re: knewbies project? - updating LDD3 source

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu May 26 07:38:26 EDT 2011

On Tue, 24 May 2011, Javier Martinez Canillas wrote:

> >> I've found the same googlecode svn repo a while ago, but
> >> since it was very out-dated, I decided to start my own
> >> project on github.
> >>
> >> https://github.com/ezequielgarcia/ldd3-examples
> >>
> >> I am working against 2.6.37; but currently, the only module
> >> that really compiles is scull and scullpipe. martinezjavier
> >> git repo seems much updated; too bad I haven't find that
> >> when I looked for !
> >>
> >> Maybe we should concentrate our efforts, despite for me it
> >> was just a learning project.
> >>
> >> Greetings,
> >> Ezequiel.
>
> Yes, it would be better to concentrate our efforts. When I needed to
> update the examples to a more recent kernel I had the same problem
> than you do. I did find a few repos but they were outdated. I send a
> few patches to some of the authors but i didn't have any feedback so
> I (sadly) had to start (yet another) LDD3 repo.
>
> But probably the best idea is to think a good example set to include
> in the kernel's samples dir. I just don't know what is the policy
> about the code that reside in that dir. In the meantime patches are
> welcomed so I can include more examples in this repo. I will try to
> keep this repo compiling with newer kernels but I probably won't
> have to much time to add more examples.

  as i mentioned earlier, i'm currently doing something like this for
an introductory kernel programming and device drivers course i'm
updating but, since it's not my course originally and i'm doing this
in concert with someone else, i don't know how much i'll be allowed to
share publicly since all of that work will become part of the
courseware but let me throw out some ideas.

  first, don't worry if something is perfectly appropriate for the
kernel source samples/ directory.  just write something that
demonstrates a simple feature, test it, document it with comments, and
maybe post it here, and let others see it.  if it's good, worry about
submitting it for samples/ later.

  also (and something i'm particularly interested in), i want to write
examples that *emulate* certain kernel features.  as in, loadable
modules that simulate behaviour like hotplugging a new device, so you
can do something like that, then watch the uevents in user space to
see how they match up.

  mostly, just pick a kernel feature and start writing and posting.
others will tell you if you're on the right track.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca